Tuesday 13 March 2018

The Thing in TJ's Brain: Part 2



I went along to the pre-assessment on the day ordained, and was seen by a nurse.

“Right, first we need to take some swabs.” She produce an enormous cottonwool bud and I tensed, ready to defend myself vigorously if the situation required it.

“Just run this around the inside of each nostril about three times.” I breathed a sigh of relief and did so, handing it back to her.

With this completed, I was asked to lie down and pull up my top. The nurse produced a large bundle of cables with plugs at the ends. I wondered whether it would need some sort of adaptor, and where they were all going to go, but she then got out various sticky pads and began applying these to me. One per wrist and ankle, and several over my chest, in a pattern apparently determined by where my ribs are. The cables then plugged into little sockets on each of these.

I lay still for a little while, while she fiddled with a machine. Eventually it started spooling out some sort of Richter scale log. She then proceeded to unplug me, and pull off the pads. Most of these were ok; they weren’t stuck very firmly. However, a couple on my chest decided to adhere to my already sparse chest hair, and continued to adhere to it long after they’d been removed, to my no small discomfort.

I was able to pull down my top, and was then weighed and measured. This done and the results noted, I was taken down the corridor to another nurse in another room.

She proceeded to run through a long list of questions regarding my health, past operations, job, family history, my whereabouts on the evening of the 27th, and a five letter word with the clue ‘the shape of stacks’, possibly starting with the letter ‘P’.

Having answered these, she looked at my seismology reading. She frowned. “That’s odd.”

“Um, is it?”

“I mean, for someone of your age…”

“…what?”

“That’s absolutely stunning…”

“I can hear you, you know.”

“I’d like to send you back for another scan. There seems to be an anomaly here.”

“Oh. Righto.”

Back I went with Nurse 2, who asked Nurse 1 to redo my tectonics, pointing out the anomalous readings. “I thought it looked rather odd as well,” Nurse 1 remarked.

“I can hear both of you. I’m standing right here!”

Back onto the bed I went, this time removing my top completely to give better access to my continental plates. The sticky pads and cables were reattached, and once again the machine spooled out its Richter scale.

Nurse 1 examined it. “No, it’s still the same.”

Top back on, and off back to Nurse 2. She too examined it.

“That’s very strange…”

“Is it?”

“Tell you what, go downstairs for your blood tests, and maybe get yourself a coffee, then come back here in about an hour.

“Um, ok.”

Down I went. The blood testing occurs in a separate part of the building, and rather than appointments, they have a ticket system. Take a ticket and wait for your number to come up. Instant flashbacks to that scene from the end of Beetlejuice. After perhaps ten thousand years, my number came up. I went through, was stabbed in the arm, and my vital fluids drained by a chap with an eastern European accent, who I am almost certain wasn’t a vampire.

I didn’t want a coffee, but I still had some time left, so I ambled around the streets near the hospital, and found an undertaker’s shop that seemed very keen on the funerals of Wellington and Nelson. Perhaps they were involved somehow. They had a certified chunk of the HMS Victory displayed in their window, which they seemed rather proud of.

The time was swinging round, so back to the hospital, back up to the waiting room. I explained that I’d been asked to come back, and was told to sit down. Eventually, a chap came and took me through to an office. He explained that he was the anaesthetist, and had been asked to look at my readings.

Apparently my tectonics were a little irregular. I had a slight heart arrhythmia.

“But it’s nothing to worry about. Absolutely nothing to worry about.”

“Righto.”

“Just a little abnormal.”

“Oh?”

“Not abnormal! Just… uncommon.”

“Ah.”

This being said, he would send me for an echocardiogram, or ECG, not to be confused with an ECG, which I’d already had two of, and is quite different, and must definitely not be confused with an ecocardiogram, which is the same but more environmentally friendly, or cardigan from your gran, which is totally different again.

A few days later, I received a call from the hospital.

“Mr Jones?

“Yes?”

“We have a date for your surgery.”

“Ah, excellent.”

“It’s Saturday.”

“Pardon?”

“Saturday.”

“This Saturday?”

“Yes.”

“Oh, right. Only I was supposed to be getting another eco-cardigan thingy before then.”

“Oh, really? Well you’ll need to contact your doctor and tell him.”

“Right. Can’t you do that? I mean, you work in the same hospital.”

“No. The date’s booked. Bye.”

“Oh, but-“

*click*

“Oh.”

So I called the pre-assessment people, who were surprised that my surgery was so soon. The anaesthetist wasn’t around, but they’d email him to see if he could force me into an eco-cardigan before Saturday.

The next day, I received a call from the anaesthetist.

“I’ve shown your ECG to our cardiology department, and they think it’s just natural variance, so you’re fine to proceed on Saturday.”

“Oh, right. Only the nurse seemed rather concerned that-“

“No, it’s fine. Bye.”

*click*

“Oh.”

So that’s it. It’s on for Saturday. I’ve never had an operation before, and have never been under a general anaesthetic. I have so many questions. What will happen? What will it feel like? How will I feel afterwards? Is the person responsible for draining my cerebral fluid out through my spine prior to the operation called a lumbar-jack? If the person in charge of putting me to sleep is a godless, abstemious minimalist who does long-distance running in their spare time, would that make them an atheist aesthete athlete anaesthetist?

I guess I’ll find out. See you on the other side.

To be continued (hopefully!)…

No comments:

Post a Comment