Wednesday 15 August 2018

The Thing in TJ's Brain Part 7: Sickness, Cisternograms, and Sandwiches


The surgeons were still deciding whether or not they needed to re-operate, and so I stayed on the ward for several days. However, over this time I began to feel extremely unwell. My headaches, which were mostly mild and only occurred when I’d been sitting up for too long, became severe and constant. I started feeling nauseous and dizzy, and began to run hot and cold, especially at night. This was not a good time for me. I threw up at least once a day, and I struggled to eat or drink much. As a result, I lost over a kilogram of weight in perhaps four days, and became badly dehydrated. The painful headache and fluctuating temperatures prevented me from sleeping.

Worst of all though, it was the World Cup. There was a large television at the end of the ward, and this was on constantly. Both inmates and wardens talked about it incessantly, and I had to explain several times that I don’t much care for football, and don't have any particular emotional investment in which country can Football Best. I did have a considerable emotional investment in having the TV turned down (or better yet, off) and in everyone around me shutting up, but this was mostly beyond my powers.

The doctors and nurses were sympathetic to my plight (the illness, not the World Cup), and gave me increasingly strong painkillers, which barely seemed to help. However, none of them seemed especially interested in why I was feeling so ill. They took regular blood samples, and apparently these weren’t showing up any infection markers, and that was that as far as they were concerned.

Another infuriating thing was that during this time, my leak seemed to stop. Several times doctors had come to me and asked me to lean forward to produce a drip. I’d explained that it was only a very slow leak, and they always got bored and left before I could produce even one drop, but now the drip had subsided entirely. I got the impression that they thought I was lying.

My own theory, borne up by my total lack of extensive medical training and scientific knowledge, is that I had contracted some sort of sub-meningitic infection, and the resulting inflammation had swollen my leak shut. When the infection eventually subsided, my leak returned, more enthusiastic than ever, which seems to confirm my hypothesis.

Before this happened, however, several things occurred. They were feeding me regular doses of anti-sickness drugs. To do this they fitted a canula, but the nurse chosen to do this didn’t seem very adept. She first dug around in my left wrist trying to find the vein, but in vain. She then did the same on the right wrist, leaving me with what looked rather like stigmata. Eventually she got it in.

That evening, I was feeling as bad as ever. Meningitis was on my mind (so to speak), since I seemed to be evincing at least some of the symptoms. My neck was rather stiff (although not to the degree I’m told meningitis produces), but I had no rash or aversion to light.

Then I looked down and saw that a rash had suddenly appeared on my right arm. Stoically, and without panicking even slightly, I called a nurse. He came over, examined my arm, and put his face in his hands. If this was calculated to reassure me, it did not. He called a more senior nurse, who said they’d need to monitor it, and see if it spread, or if the blotches grew. Their high-tech method of doing this was to draw around them with a ballpoint pen and come back later.

To my great relief, the rash faded over the next half-hour or so. They concluded that it was an allergic reaction to the anti-sickness drug they’d injected into me via the canula.

The doctors were still deciding whether to operate on me again, and I was subjected to another MRI. I was wheeled down in my bed, and the scan was completed. I was left in the Radiology waiting room and a nurse was called to come and collect me. However, some crossed wires meant that the nurse never arrived, and I was left there for almost an hour. The waiting room was much cooler and far quieter than the ward, and I was actually able to get some sleep before they realised their mistake and took me back.

They also decided that I needed a cisternogram. This involves stabbing a rather long needle into your spine, and injecting a dye up through your spinal column and into your brain. As ill as I was feeling, I was nonetheless curious. The room in which this was done was large and cold, and contained a lot of interesting machinery. Because it involved stabbing a long, flexible needle into my spinal column, it had to be done whilst observing me in real time using x-rays. I was lain on my side and my back painted with local anaesthetic. The surgeon and two nurses donned large, heavy-looking aprons lined with lead and proceeded.

The actual spinal impalement wasn’t too bad. It hurt a little, but no more so than many injections.

“Now, I’m injecting the dye. You may find your headache suddenly gets worse.”

“Ok.” I waited for a couple of seconds. “No, it’s not too… Oh. Yes, alright, that’s really painful. Ow. Oh. Um, also, I think I’m going to be sick.”

One of the nurses acted with superhuman speed and presented me with a bowl just in time. Once I’d finished, they withdrew the needle, cleaned off the excess anaesthetic, and I was wheeled through to another room to be given a CT scan, so they could track the progress of the dye out through my leak.

I was put inside the white doughnut when I was once again assailed by a bout of extreme nausea. Unwilling to throw up on their no-doubt very expensive machine, I alerted the nurse, who was once again able to get there in time. Once the nausea subsided, they were able to complete the scan and I was wheeled back up to my ward.

It was also during this period that the Great Ham Sandwich Fiasco of 2018 occurred. I have mentioned that my usually robust appetite had been badly affected. I struggled to eat more than a few mouthfuls of any meal, and selected the plainest possible options from the menu. One day, for lunch, I chose the ham sandwich. This simple dish seemed best.

Lunch time came round, and my sandwich was brought to me. It was a ham, cheese and pickle sandwich. I called the nurse and explained that this wasn’t right. Normally I quite like these, but in my weakened state I didn’t feel up to the task of tackling such a complex meal. The nurse contacted the catering department, and came back to tell me that they’d said that I was a liar, a cad and a blackguard, and that I’d received the sandwich that I’d ordered. If I’d wanted a sandwich that contained only ham, they said, I should have specified that I wanted a ‘plain ham sandwich’. By merely saying ‘ham sandwich’ I’d clearly requested a ‘ham, cheese and pickle sandwich’.

Too weak to send my seconds down to demand satisfaction, I resigned myself to picking the cheese and pickle out, and jury-rigging a ham sandwich out of what I had been given. During my careful dissection however, I discovered something. Not only had I received the wrong sandwich, it didn’t even contain any pickle! I didn’t want any pickle. I hadn’t asked for any pickle. But since I was told that nonetheless there would be pickle, I thought it only fair that pickle there would be. I pointed this out to the nurse, and told them that they were being defrauded by their catering company.

The next day, the Food Lady came round again and asked what I wanted for lunch.

“A plain ham sandwich please.” I stressed the ‘plain’.

“A plain ham sandwich?”

“That’s correct. A sandwich containing nothing but ham. Ham, and nothing else. In a sandwich.”

“It does come with margarine as well.”

“That’s fine. Margarine is also good. I want a sandwich consisting of nothing but ham, bread and margarine, all in their usual positions and proportions.” I wondered if I wasn’t laying it on a little thick, but they had irked me. Behind the Food Lady, I saw the nurse snigger.

At lunchtime, they brought me the correct sandwich.


To be continued…

No comments:

Post a Comment