Tuesday 5 November 2013

Made-up Things

I have finally decided to actually create myself a blog, after having meant to for a long while, and on the advice of others.

I intend this to be filled with things that interest me.  This will mostly be my writing (much of which currently gets inflicted on the people who tolerate me on Facebook), and my musings on theology and religion, but I'm also hoping that it will include posts on books, roleplay games, and fencing.



I'd like to start with a bit of explanation about the name I've chosen for this blog.

'Made-up Things' can obviously apply to my writing, but it will also apply to my philosophical and theological ramblings.  And that's not because I think that theology and God are invented; far from it.

Instead, it is taken from one of my favourite passages by one of my favourite authors.  This is part of Puddleglum's speech to the witch in The Silver Chair by CS Lewis:

"Suppose we have only dreamed, or made up, all those things-trees and grass and sun and moon and stars and Aslan himself. Suppose we have. Then all I can say is that, in that case, the made-up things seem a good deal more important than the real ones."


1 comment:

  1. Even as an atheistpaganchaosmazwhatever, I always did like that line from Puddleglum, and Tom Baker delivered it brilliantly. "And we four can make a dream world to lick your real one...hollow."

    I'll stop spamming you now. :p

    ReplyDelete